Thursday 12 January 2012

'Kurt Vonnegut' illustration

As I mentioned on Tuesday I went a bit mental over Christmas but I did manage to do some black and white portraits of people what I like that I think are quite good renderings considering the near-breakdown they emerged from. Hmmm - too much information?

This is Kurt Vonnegut - I think he must've been using some deep nourishing volumising shampoo or some shit 'cos his hair has got BODY. Obviously not in the photo I was working from - that's what I've brought to the party. Again hmmm...

And with that I leave you with a nice Vonnegut quote. There are literally hundreds but this one is new to me and I'm hanging onto it for dear life right now. So dramatic.

"Go into the arts. I'm not kidding. The arts are not a way to make a living. They are a very human way of making life more bearable. Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possibly can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something"

I would add I don't think he was referring to those kooky types that make knitted owls and such.

No comments: