Thursday 26 January 2012

'Karen Dalton' illustration

"Maybe another day you'll want to feel another way, you can't stop crying,
You haven't got a thing to say, you feel you want to run away
There's no use trying, anyway.
I've seen the writing on the wall,
Who cannot maintain will always fall,
Well, you know, you can't make it without ever even trying."

I first heard 'Something On Your Mind' via Jackie-O-Motherfucker's cover years ago courtesy of a mix tape by a friend (cheers Jason!). Then I heard the Karen Dalton original not long after. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say it's one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. Occasionally I forget it exists and then come back to it a few months later and it hits me even harder just how beautiful it is.

My portraits were getting a bit cock-heavy and I had a spare couple of hours last night to make amends - the face is well wrong but the left hand is probably the best thing I've drawn in weeks. If you don't know about Karen Dalton you should seek her records out now and fill that massive void in your life.