Thursday 22 July 2010

Zine Sketches Take 4 - The Incredible String Band

This is the last of my zine efforts that didn't quite work out. It's The Incredible String Band and I chose them specifically for 'The 5000 Spirits or the Layers of the Onion' lp - a fantastically weird beard freak folk album made before Devendra was a twinkle in his mother's commune leader's eye. I got cold feet on account of the fact they haven't made a good record since 'The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter'. I have since discovered thanks to Joe Boyd's brilliant biography 'White Bicyles' it's because they joined the crazy-bonkers-idiot cult the Scientologists soon after. Shame.

The zine is being printed tomorrow - finally - it's been epic is all I can say. I'm sorry. I'd like to say I too went Scientologist for a few months and creatively lost my way but it's just not true. They wouldn't have me on account of being too poor.

No comments: