Sunday 1 February 2009

Printed Matter IV

Upon arriving in San Francisco after a especially bad ten hour flight (the screens were busted, a pukey neighbour and I dropped an entire cup of apple juice over my crotch about halfway through) the goal was to stay awake to get over the jet-lag so we headed up to Haight Street and chanced upon the Printed Matter IV exhibition in Giant Robot. Comprised of woodcuts, lithographs and screen-prints and including some of my favourite illustrators such as Jay Ryan, Deth P Sun, Christopher Bettig and Brian Ralph I quickly forgot about my sticky apple-nuts.

Jay Ryan has been illustrating and screen-printing gig-posters for time and it shows - his prints are usually a run of 250 or so, generally comprising of at least five colours and are always outstanding. Alas his print had sold out by the time we got there as had a lot of the other good stuff. However I found out the following day Annie had already bagged me a Jay Ryan print for Christmas - perfick.

Incidentally the Deth P Sun print was based on an original he sent to me back in April '08 - in a bizarre turn of events I ordered a print of his of San Francisco for Annie and asked him to write a little note on it - instead he threw in the original picture which he went on to recreate for the exhbition. So there. Fascinating stuff innit.







Christopher Bettig - 'Paris'

Deth P Sun - 'Crushing SF'

No comments: